Tuesday, May 19, 2020

Hostility and ADHD (A Story From My Life)

Why do people look down on others with ADHD?

It's hard to imagine that not everyone's brain functions the same way when our outsides all look the same. Even among others with ADHD it can be hard for people to accept that someone has different symptoms or diagnosis than you do. Especially when the behavior that ADHDers exhibit from a small clip makes perfect sense. When your problem is self-regulation, it means that almost anything you do can be normal, but it's how the events are strung together that make the difference.

Even in people with ADHD we don't always understand another person who has our same condition because the severity and presentations are differently affected. Some people need medication, others are able to use practical or holistic approaches, and others (like my son and I) need a combination of both. If you need more or less help, some people will berate you. This is because they either feel they are better than, or that it feels like someone is holding up a mirror to their own flaws.

Many people who meet others have founded their belief in the world that everyone else who fits into certain boxes. (Race, Gender, Sexuality, Diagnosis...) When they meet someone who doesn't fit into a single labeled box, they become angry or upset. They lash out, which hurts everyone.

A Story

Keeping all of this in mind, I had an experience this weekend that I feel needs to be shared. I went to my new psychiatrist this weekend for my second appointment. I had talked to some people about anxiety and realized that what I had been experiencing was not, in fact, normal anxiety. At least, it isn't just normal anxiety, but someone else brought up a rare symptom in ADHD, called Rejection Sensitive Dysphoria, that had the jumbled reactions to emotions that I was experiencing (physical pain, strong emotion, and then having a thought connected to the emotion). Because I haven't done any research on it, or had heard of it until the day of my appointment, I figured I would ask about it since I was told that treatment for this symptom was vastly different than anxiety.

During my first appointment, I had told her a few side effects that I was having with one of my medications. It was something that my old psychiatrist (who moved practices and no longer takes my insurance) had been toying around with, but it just wasn't working. It was actually killing the little motivation I had to do things, and was making me uninterested in anything. Not sad, just glued to the bed and being dragged by hyper-focus.

When I walked into this second appointment, it started normal enough. She asked how I was doing, and I told her that I still wasn't doing well with the anxiety meds, but I was developing new coping skills that were helping me in other areas. I told her that I had found out about my odd emotional reaction sequence and asked if it was a good idea for me to be re-evaluated given this new information. I was expecting a yes, no, or "You're a fairly new patient, and I'd like to work with you a bit longer before making a decision." None of things would have offended me, but what I got was none of those responses.

This is where everything went wrong. ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING. She told me that re-evaluations "simply aren't done" and that I was learning too much about ADHD. She asked why I was so invested in it and berated me for saying that up until a year ago I was practically non-functional. I explained that my knowledge was needed not only for myself, but for my son. This was something I needed to improve so that I could guide him in the right direction. "Why is is that bad? Why is researching coping mechanisms and figuring out how to help my child a bad thing?"

She dodged my questions and told me "I'm exactly the same as you. I was diagnosed with ADHD in my 30's. I have inattentive-ADHD and I have six degrees and a son with ADHD. There is nothing wrong with you."

To this, I want to make a few points. My brain is beautiful, but I don't fully understand it, and for me to be able to cope with that, I need to learn about it. I learn and problem-solve. This is how I cope with everything in my life. Finances, children, illness, everything. Every week I'm researching a new thing and learning about it. The reason I do this is 1) I have a problem with hyper-focusing which often affects the people around me (Yep, laying that on the table) and 2) I love learning about things because it makes me feel more in control by helping me find or create solutions.

Back in the appointment, I started crying. I was crying because as a mom who's job it is to make sure that her child succeeds in the world, I was terrified of the mirror she was holding up to herself. I immediately knew that the problem wasn't about me. It was about her seeing her own shortcomings. She asked me about how I had coped before I was married as an adult, but I was married right after after high school. Yes, in my late 20's I've been married for 10 years, to the same person, and he is my rock, world and everything. I don't think she could understand that I wasn't the same as her, and I wasn't fitting in her ADHD box. I don't think that she could compute that I could be in a stable relationship and work toward family goals despite my family being my job, just like psychiatry is hers.

I walked out of that office in tears. I set up the appointment she asked me to for two weeks later, but it was just in case I hadn't found a new provider over the weekend. I now have a therapist, a new evaluation, and a new psychiatrist. I'm dealing with the feelings of rejection that are coming from my symptoms not being accepted by a mental health professional and am trying not to wonder how this will affect me moving forward. A new evaluation and a fresh start are exactly what I need so that, hopefully, my new psychiatrist isn't tainted by someone who looked at me, not with an analytical eye, but an emotional one.

So what did I learn?

Providers are humans. They're subject tot their own biases and personal flaws, just like the rest of us. We all judge each other, and in some cases it can be a good thing (the guy holding up the bank probably isn't in a good state of mind) and others it can be a bad thing. We often do judge others based on our own experiences, but there needs to be a true acknowledgement that they aren't everyone's experiences. Despite being told to from others around me, I did not report her. She may very well be fantastic with other patients who don't hit so close to home for her. We're a similar age with children and the same diagnosis. I truly believe that she sees too much in me to think objectively and as it stands I understand that she is human first and foremost.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Autopilot (Making Habits)

ADHD and the Stay at Home Mom has Moved! To see this post on our new site,  CLICK HERE  !